Fayre Wharp is mentioned in 1519 and the main occupation in the area, being charcoal burning, providing the source of heat to melt the iron produced at nearby Oldlands Farm.
Also on the other side of the village towards Nutley, cannonswere finished off, with the centres being bored at Boringwheel Mill farm.
From 1793 regiments from the army were stationed at nearby Duddleswell, during the build up to the Napoleonic Wars.
The church was built in 1881 as the village became large enough to host its own parish, prior to that the village was in the parish of Maresfield.
During the 1930’s the radio station at Duddleswell was built to provide long distance communication to the British Embassies and Forces overseas.