Fairwarp is a delightful small village situated on the edge of the six and a half thousand acres of the enchanting Ashdown Forest.
Please view the below history posts of information that has been handed to us so far. If you have more Information, Photos, or anything about Fairwarp History please contact us so that we can add this information to the website so that it is never lost or forgotten.
AIRMEN’S GRAVE THE SECOND WORLD WAR Fairwarp has two sites of interest relating to the Second World War; The Airmen’s Grave and The Italian POW camp. On the night of the July 31st 1941, a Wellington bomber was returning from a raid on Cologne. One of its two engines had stopped and the pilot was attempting to reach an airfield close to the English Coast. The weather that night was poor and the pilot was unable to identify a suitable landing place and crashed on the southern slopes of the forest. All six crew members [...]
BRICKFIELD MEADOW Within Fairwarp there is a meadow nature reserve managed by the Sussex Wildlife Trust. The Meado “boasts” traditional Wealden meadow flowers and grasses including betony, musk mallow and dyer’s greenweed. In addition, the meadow has an ancient hornbeam hedge. The area is known as Brickfield Meadow and is now a nature reserve. During Spring and Summer there is a wide range of butterflies and moths attracted to the wild flowers. nature reserve managed by the Sussex Wildlife Trust.
FAIRWARP SPITFIRE During “Wings for Victory” Week villages were asked to raise money for planes and in return had a plane named after it. Sir Bernard Eckstein handed Mrs Shorthouse (who was secretary of the War Savings Group) a cheque for a quarter of a million pounds(£250,000) who combined with the Oldands Hall Group in sending £730,000 from Fairwarp, making a record contribution as the best village in England.
FARMING AND COMMUNITY GROWTH Postcard courtesy of Peter Mcleod of www.theweald.org In 1777, the village consisted of a single farmhouse on a track across the Forest. This dwelling does not appear on the 1805 Ordance Survey Map but may be the dwelling at the bottom of The Street in the main part of the village. By the late 19th Century Fairwarp has become a thriving community boasting the church (consecrated in 1881), school (opened in 1873), post office and pub. The 1878 Ordnance Survey Map shows the extent of the growth during most of [...]
Fayre Wharp Fayre Wharp is mentioned in 1519 and the main occupation in the area, being charcoal burning, providing the source of heat to melt the iron produced at nearby Oldlands Farm. Also on the other side of the village towards Nutley, cannonswere finished off, with the centres being bored at Boringwheel Mill farm. From 1793 regiments from the army were stationed at nearby Duddleswell, during the build up to the Napoleonic Wars. The church was built in 1881 as the village became large enough to host its own parish, prior to that the village was in the parish [...]
The community roll of honour includes the names of 25 men who gave their lives in the first world war. There is a memorial to these men in the churchyard of Christ Church. The names of 6 men who died in the second world war have been added. Two other soldiers from the first world war are buried in the churchyard. Fairwarp Remembers is a programme of events to commemorate the centenary of the end of the first world war. A small committee was set up to progress Fairwarp's commemoration plans. This included researching the history of Fairwarp's involvement [...]
IRON PRODUCTION Whilst there is no mention of the village of Fairwarp (Fayre Wharp) until 1519 there are significant Roman connections in the area. At Duddleswell there is a preserved section of a road that ran across the Ashdown Forest and onto London from Lewes. This is part of Ermine Street. The road was built around 100 AD and made of slag and cinders, probably from the iron industry of the area. There is evidence that the Romans produced iron as a bloomery (early furnace) has been found in the Fairwarp area. The name Oldlands is suggested comes [...]
ITALIAN POW CAMP THE SECOND WORLD WAR Fairwarp has two sites of interest relating to the Second World War; The Airmen’s Grave and The Italian POW camp. Just leaving the main village, heading east on The Street, tucked away in among trees is two dilapidated buildings that formed the POW camp. There is little information about the camp and it is slowly returning to nature.
OLDLANDS HALL Source: onthemarket.com Oldlands Hall is the big house on the hill for Fairwarp. The history of the estate and house is extremely interesting, especially in the context of the development of the village. Brief Description Much of the 19th-century ornamental gardens have been lost in late-20th-century development of the site and what remains are probably features created during Bernard Eckstein's ownership in the 1930s and 1940s. Features include an azalea walk, stone lions, and ornamental lily pool and an arboretum. History From 1870, gardens and a park of some 12 hectares were [...]
THE ROMANS Whilst there is no mention of the village of Fairwarp (Fayre Wharp) until 1519 there are significant Roman connections in the area. At Duddleswell there is a preserved section of a road that ran across the Ashdown Forest and onto London from Lewes. This is part of Ermine Street. The road was built around 100 AD and made of slag and cinders, probably from the iron industry of the area. There is evidence that the Romans produced iron as a bloomery (early furnace) has been found in the Fairwarp area. The name Oldlands is suggested comes [...]