ITALIAN POW CAMP

By |2019-08-22T09:41:37+00:00August 19th, 2019|Categories: Fairwarp History|Tags: , |

ITALIAN POW CAMP THE SECOND WORLD WAR Fairwarp has two sites of interest relating to the Second World War; The Airmen’s Grave and The Italian POW camp. Just leaving the main village, heading east on The Street, tucked away in among trees is two dilapidated buildings that formed the POW [...]

FAIRWARP SPITFIRE

By |2019-08-19T19:42:39+00:00August 19th, 2019|Categories: Fairwarp History|Tags: |

FAIRWARP SPITFIRE During “Wings for Victory” Week villages were asked to raise money for planes and in return had a plane named after it.  Sir Bernard Eckstein handed Mrs Shorthouse (who was secretary of the War Savings Group) a cheque for a quarter of a million pounds(£250,000) who combined with the [...]

OLDLANDS HALL

By |2019-08-19T19:18:17+00:00August 19th, 2019|Categories: Fairwarp History|Tags: |

OLDLANDS HALL Source: onthemarket.com Oldlands Hall is the big house on the hill for Fairwarp. The history of the estate and house is extremely interesting, especially in the context of the development of the village. Brief Description Much of the 19th-century ornamental gardens have been lost in late-20th-century development of [...]

BRICKFIELD MEADOW

By |2019-08-19T19:22:17+00:00August 19th, 2019|Categories: Fairwarp History|Tags: |

BRICKFIELD MEADOW Within Fairwarp there is a meadow nature reserve managed by the Sussex Wildlife Trust. The Meado “boasts” traditional Wealden meadow flowers and grasses including betony, musk mallow and dyer’s greenweed. In addition, the meadow has an ancient hornbeam hedge. The area is known as Brickfield Meadow and is now a nature reserve. During Spring [...]

FARMING AND COMMUNITY GROWTH

By |2019-08-19T19:19:17+00:00August 19th, 2019|Categories: Fairwarp History|Tags: |

FARMING AND COMMUNITY GROWTH Postcard courtesy of Peter Mcleod of  www.theweald.org In 1777, the village consisted of a single farmhouse on a track across the Forest. This dwelling does not appear on the 1805 Ordance Survey Map but may be the dwelling at the bottom of The Street in the [...]

IRON PRODUCTION

By |2019-08-20T06:32:29+00:00August 19th, 2019|Categories: Fairwarp History|Tags: |

IRON PRODUCTION Whilst there is no mention of the village of Fairwarp (Fayre Wharp) until 1519 there are significant Roman connections in the area. At Duddleswell there is a preserved section of a road that ran across the Ashdown Forest and onto London from Lewes. This is part of Ermine Street. The road was [...]

Fayre Wharp

By |2019-08-20T06:33:14+00:00August 19th, 2019|Categories: Fairwarp History|Tags: |

Fayre Wharp Fayre Wharp is mentioned in 1519 and the main occupation in the area, being charcoal burning, providing the source of heat to melt the iron produced at nearby Oldlands Farm. Also on the other side of the village towards Nutley, cannonswere finished off, with the centres being bored at Boringwheel Mill farm. From [...]